Monday, March 30, 2015

It's not the end...only a pause


Well, my time as interim chief came and went almost as quickly as I had hoped. For the experience and knowledge, I wouldn’t have minded the term lasting quite a bit longer, but I’m glad that the responsibility weight was lifted. The county came in, pulled the fire contract, took over the operation, and began making what they felt were necessary changes. These changes included a new administration. The night of the disbanding of our fire department, I learned who our new administration was and of some changes that had taken effect without warning.

 I learned that the new fire chief was one of the men serving as battalion chief, which I didn’t have a problem with. I also learned that the new assistant chief was one of the former captains who resigned from the department back in December.  A captain was appointed along with a training officer, which I also didn’t have a problem with. What I did have a problem with was that each Lt was pulled from their position and placed back as a regular fireman, myself included. I can say, for myself, that I spent the last 2 and a half years dedicating half my life and working hard for the organization. Learning that I was demoted after all of that, plus taking on the interim chief position when no one else would, left me feeling disappointed. What made it even worse was that they promoted the man that decided to leave the department a few months prior. What kind of leadership is that??

As a result, after 5 years of service, I turned in my gear and hung up my helmet. I’ll still be a fireman, but as of right now, it won’t be for the same people. In almost 11 years, I’ve seen much turnover, policy changes, time changes, and administration changes. I’ve left departments for less and stuck it out for more. This does not stop me from what I love. My membership to the adjoining fire department is coming up this week and I am excited to see what new experience I have in store for me here. There already looks to be some things brewing. I only hope I can provide the help they need and want in their organization.

Until next time..
Keep fighting the good fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment